Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ridiculous claims

I really hate deception, as I wrote in my other post Companies with Integrity and this is related to that a little. I want to post about a product in particular: Maybelline Dream Fresh 8-in-1 BB cream and a little something that bugged me.

I saw this product at Walmart the other day and since I've never tried a BB cream, I was interested. The price is great at about 10$ or less so I figured it could be a good one to try to begin with as far as BB creams go. I read what was on the packaging. 8-in-1. I thought: 8?! How many different things can one cream do?! Let's see what was written on there:

* Blurs imperfections
* Brightens
* Evens skin-tone
* Smoothes
* Hydrates
* Enhances
* Protects with SPF 30
* Oil-Free

Is anyone else seeing how ridiculous some of these claims are?! I see it as a 3-in-1: sun protection, moisturizer and foundation. Basically, it's a tinted moisturizer with SPF, am I right? Maybe it could be a primer, I don't know... So max 4-in-1.

How is "oil-free" something that this cream does?! My moisturizer must be a 5-in-1 then, it hydrates, it's oil-free, it's natural, it's organic, it's got rosehip. What is up with them adding anything to make it a bigger number? That's called deception. And I don't know that much about BB creams but as far as I understand it, this might not even qualify as one under a standard definition. Isn't it missing the "activeness" of a BB cream. Either fighting ageing, blemishes or something like that?

I've heard good things about this cream, but for it's deceptive advertising, I'm personally staying away from it. I'm sure I can find another tinted moisturizer with SPF that will suit me OR flat out a complete BB cream that I like.

6 comments:

  1. I would highly suggest Marcelle's bb cream to you! It is by far the best that I've come across (although it is more expensive, around $20!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion!! I think I will buy it as soon as I see it in stores. It really does seem like a good one to try!

      Delete
  2. haha it's funny that anything can be "8 in 1". I think the marketing people had some fun with this one. :P

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  3. consumers have to be well aware about the marketing behind beauty products. i never believe that "4 in 5 women found that... " or like "95% noticed an 88% increase in ..." it's all very silly.
    many companies spin every little detail to make the product seem more impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always have to read between the lines. It's not allowed to be a lie, but there's often a lot more going on than the stats that they give us.

      Delete
  4. I agree, a lot of ads nowadays are so full of bs. Like the mascara ones with false lashes!

    ReplyDelete